If you do not have insurance coverage and/or your finances are limited, there are several possibilities for obtaining counseling at a lower cost. Some professionals may be willing to lower their standard fee based on the client’s ability to pay - often called a “sliding scale”. Also, there are several university-based centers and private practice agencies that offer reduced rates. If you do not have a car, five of these agencies are easily accessible by public transportation, and one is within walking distance from campus.
- Emory University Outpatient Psychotherapy Training Program: (404) 778-5526. Accessible using the Emory shuttle.
- Emory University Psychological Center: Psychology and Interdisciplinary Sciences (PAIS) Building, 36 Eagle Row, Atlanta, GA 30322; (404) 727-7451. Accessible using the Emory shuttle.
- Georgia State University Psychology Clinic: Urban Life Bldg, Ste 65, on Decatur & Piedmont Ave; (404) 413-6229. Accessible via the MARTA train, exiting at the Georgia State station.
- Mercer Family Therapy Center: Piedmont Hospital near Buckhead, 105 Building, 105 Collier Rd, Suite 1040, Atlanta, GA 30309; (678) 547-6789. Specializes in couples and family therapy. Accessible from Tech via the MARTA bus line "110 Peachtree St."
Private Practice Agencies
- Anxiety & Stress Management Institute: 1640 Powers Ferry Rd., Bldg. 9-100, Atlanta, GA 30067; (678) 831-0608. Near Exit I-75 at Windy Hill Rd.
- CHRIS Counseling Center: DeKalb: 3103 Clairmont Road NE, Suite B. Atlanta, GA 30329; (404) 636-1457. Counseling practice with various Atlanta-area locations that provides trauma-informed care in both individual and group settings.
- Heartwork Counseling Center: 990 Edgewood Ave., Atlanta, GA 30307; (404) 658-1222. Accessible via the MARTA train and is a short walk from the Inman Park station.
- Jewish Family & Career Services: (770) 677-9474. Services are open to anyone, and they have several locations.
- The Link Counseling Center: Sandy Springs: 348 Mt. Vernon Highway, Atlanta,GA 30328; (404) 256-9797. Cobb County: 1820 The Exchange - Suite 650, Atlanta GA 30339; (770) 541-1114.
- Karuna Counseling: 1945 Mason Mill Rd., Suite 100, Decatur, GA 30033; (404) 321-4307. Located off Clairmont Rd. just north of the Emory campus.
- The Training & Counseling Center at St. Luke’s (TACC): 98 Currier Street NE, Atlanta,GA 30308. (404) 876-6266. An ecumenical outreach of St. Luke's Episcopal Church serving persons of all faiths. Located in downtown Atlanta, half a mile south of the North Avenue MARTA station.
The Georgia Tech Stamps Health Services Psychiatry Clinic offers lower-cost psychiatric services to Tech Students. Appointments are being offered by phone by calling (404) 894-3498
Other sources for lower-cost psychiatric services are listed below, all of which are accessible by public transportation.
- Dekalb County Community Service Board: (404) 892-4646
- Emory University Resident Psychopharmacology Training Clinic: (404) 778-5526. Accessible using the Emory shuttle.
- Fulton County Behavioral Health: 99 Jesse Hill Jr. Drive, Atlanta, GA 30303; (404) 613-3675
- Saint Joseph's Mercy Care Services: 424 Decatur Street, Atlanta, GA 30312; (678) 843-8600. Accessible via the MARTA train. Immediately across the street from the King Memorial Station.
- Grady Memorial Hospital Behavioral Health Center: Emergency - 80 Jesse Hill Junior Drive SE, Atlanta, GA 30303; Outpatient Services - 10 Park Place NE; (404) 616-1000. Accessible via the MARTA train
Counseling & Psychiatric
Community Mental Health
- Georgia Crisis & Access Line (GCAL): A state operated database of public and private mental health services. 1-800-715-4225